Fear of the doctor is an issue that resonates with many families. Many parents of toddlers and preschoolers say their children are afraid of going to the doctor. Add this fear of the doctor to the added COVID-19 protocols, and the whole experience can be very traumatic for kids. Kids First Pediatrics of Raleigh and Clayton wants to say first and foremost that we understand how confusing and difficult getting your child to the pediatrician can be during these times especially. We also want you to know that our number one priority is keeping your child and your family safe and healthy.
What to Expect at an Appointment and How to Prepare Your Child
- Per the requirements of the State of North Carolina, we require all patients and parents to wear masks.
- How to prepare: By now your child is a pro at wearing a mask, but you can let them know that for the safety of themselves and everyone else at Kids First, we will all be wearing masks. Help them pick fun masks with colors and patterns that they are excited to wear, and make sure they are comfortable.
- Per the requirements of the State of North Carolina, our providers will be in full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) during your appointment.
- How to prepare: Educating children in advance is the most effective way to alleviate their fears. We know that seeing a provider in full Personal Protective Equipment can be scary. We suggest letting your children know in advance that their provider will be wearing a face shield, mask, gloves, and scrubs to protect themselves and everyone in the building. While your child may not be able to see their provider as clearly, know that each of our providers takes the health of your child seriously. You can also let your child know that this won’t be forever, and that eventually they will get to see their provider again soon in normal clothes.
- To promote social distancing, we ask that all patients be accompanied by only one parent or guardian. There will be little to no waiting in our lobby.
- How to prepare: With just one parent, you can treat the visit as a special outing with just the two of you. Maybe with an incentive after, like ice cream or a visit to the park. Also, let your child know that instead of waiting in the lobby like usual, we will go directly to our ‘own special room’.
- We continue to offer sick-visits via Telehealth. Once your child is seen virtually, the provider will decide on appropriate next steps.
- How to prepare: Let your child know that you are going to have a video chat with a Kids First Provider. Our staff will make the appointment easy and short and maybe even a little fun too!
- We continue to exercise the highest standards of cleaning before and after every appointment.
- How to prepare: If your child notices or is curious about our thorough cleaning protocols, this is an opportunity to educate them on how important not only cleaning hands is, but also how important cleaning surfaces is to stop the spread of germs.
It is SAFE and necessary for your children to be seen regularly by a pediatrician. We can help alleviate the fear of visiting the doctor. If you have questions about an upcoming appointment or need to make an appointment please contact us, Raleigh, 919-250-3478, or Clayton, 919-267-1499.